Artist of the Peace sign regrets original design...

When I was doing some research on the peace sign, I often came across the information regarding the artist that drew it, and how he was drawing himself in despair. However, what I had not seen before was that he regretted using such a sad symbol to represent peace, since peace is something to be celebrated.

In this Wikipedia article, we can see that the original peace sign should have been inverted in a celebratory gesture for peace... which is exactly what I'm trying to do... :)
 
[Gerald] "Holtom later wrote to Hugh Brock, editor of Peace News, explaining the genesis of his idea in greater depth: "I was in despair. Deep despair. I drew myself: the representative of an individual in despair, with hands palm outstretched outwards and downwards in the manner of Goya's peasant before the firing squad. I formalised the drawing into a line and put a circle round it." Ken Kolsbum, a correspondent of Holtom's, says that the designer came to regret the symbolism of despair, as he felt that peace was something to be celebrated and wanted the symbol to be inverted."
As you can see, the feelings that this symbol invoke have always had a negative tone about them. Even the designer of the image recognized that 'despair' should not be used to represent something as positive and hopeful as 'peace'.

And now, I am carrying on that message, showing the world that this image is a positive one. One hand-crafted item at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment